This is the second of my allotment pieces. The combination of the blue shed and pots and the vivid spring green grass was something I knew immediately that I wanted to paint. Lots of fun! Available to buy here http://sarahjenningsartist.com/gallery_698663.html
I’ve lots more recent paintings to share that I have not yet found time to put here so expect a flurry of posts over the course of the next few days.
A few weeks ago I started visiting local allotments with the idea of painting the growing season and general allotment life. All I managed at the time was to make a few sketches and take a few photos. This is the first of two paintings based on the sketches. I was attracted by the empty chair and wondered how many times it had been wearily sat upon for that well-earned mug of tea. I plan to go back with my paints next time and know that given the recent weather the scene will have completely transformed!
Morning light. River Dee and The Meadows (30cm x 30cm acrylic on board)
Thanks to those who took part in the quiz (see last post). The first painting was in acrylic and the second in oil. The acrylic was marginally more popular than the oil and this seems to have been because people preferred the colour. Thanks for your feedback, whatever your preference!
Here’s another Chester piece, again inspired by the Winter morning light that so impressed me a few weeks ago. My vantage point was the suspension bridge, which gave me the opportunity to get a novel view of the River Dee from above – and include the fantastic reflections in the water. I hope you like it.
Here’s an experiment. We all love a little quiz, don’t we?
I thought it would be fun to paint the same image twice but in two different media. Each is about 8″ x 8″ and painted on board. However one of them was painted in oil and the other in acrylic. But which is which? And which do you prefer? Is your preference based on colour or texture – or something else?
December. Frosty morning at The Groves (12″ x 12″ mixed media on mountboard)
I’ve been experimenting a little with collage as part of a mixed media approach and combining this with a very limited palette of colours. I very much admire the work of Mike Bernard RI http://mikebernardri.com/ who paints landscapes in a semi-abstract style and uses collage extensively in combination with acrylic inks.
This image was inspired by the view I had a few weeks ago from the suspension bridge in Chester over the riverside known as ‘The Groves’. There had been a hard frost and what struck me was the contrast between the cool areas of frost and shadow and the warm areas hit by the early morning sun. The challenge I set myself was to make the image sufficiently representational to ‘make sense’ but to deliberately avoid too much detail and exploit the contrast in colours and textures. This painting had the kitchen sink thrown at it – collage, then acrylic inks and acrylic paint, applied by print roller, card, finger, palette knife and (occasionally) brush! And I only used four colours. I confess to finding the collage and ink combination very tricky and I am not sure if it is something I will repeat. However the collage does add ‘something’ which I find quite interesting.
Vapour trails. Winter afternoon. (8″ x 8″ acrylic on mountboard)
My first post of 2017 after a busy Christmas break. Happy New Year!
As I’ve been studio based recently I have been having fun experimenting with colour. This small piece is the companion to a mixed media painting I made of roughly the same location and which I posted on Facebook and my other social media pages on New Year’s day (see below).
Late afternoon. Winter (8″ x 8″ mixed media on paper)
The challenge was to try to recreate the atmosphere of light fading on a bitterly cold Winter’s day.
Temporary repair ( 10″ x 12″ mixed media on paper)
This summer I came across a stone wall that looked rather worse for wear. Some stones had clearly fallen and the gap in the wall had been repaired by means of a sheet of corrugated iron. Although I expect the repair was intended to be temporary it looked as though the sheet had been there a good few years. I loved the way the iron sheet had weathered and that a profusion of wild flowers had crept in. I knew at once that I wanted to paint it and here it is. The challenge was to create lots of different textures and using a mixed media approach was ideal for this. Here I used oil pastel, watercolour, acrylic and acrylic inks.