The plot has since greened up dramatically and I have tried to emphasise the enclosed feeling by purposely excluding the sky. I was particularly attracted to the way the white flowers of the hollyhocks contrasted with dark shed on the left and the splashes of orange in the distance. Still love the blue shed too!
I’ve been meaning to paint the California Poppies in my garden for weeks. They are such cheerful things – opening up in the mornings to greet the sunshine and then closing up in the evening when it starts to get dark. It’s been so hot though that I didn’t think I could manage to sit out there and paint them so I decided to pick just one flower, pop it in a tiny vase and retreat to the relative shade and cool of my kitchen to paint it there!
The bluebells seemed to be fantastic this year and a few weeks ago I took sketchbook and camera out with me to record them before they disappeared. I actually created these two oil paintings shortly afterwards but it has taken me a little time to post them here. Hope you like them! Available to buy here http://sarahjenningsartist.com/gallery_698663.html
This is the second of my allotment pieces. The combination of the blue shed and pots and the vivid spring green grass was something I knew immediately that I wanted to paint. Lots of fun! Available to buy here http://sarahjenningsartist.com/gallery_698663.html
I’ve lots more recent paintings to share that I have not yet found time to put here so expect a flurry of posts over the course of the next few days.
Temporary repair ( 10″ x 12″ mixed media on paper)
This summer I came across a stone wall that looked rather worse for wear. Some stones had clearly fallen and the gap in the wall had been repaired by means of a sheet of corrugated iron. Although I expect the repair was intended to be temporary it looked as though the sheet had been there a good few years. I loved the way the iron sheet had weathered and that a profusion of wild flowers had crept in. I knew at once that I wanted to paint it and here it is. The challenge was to create lots of different textures and using a mixed media approach was ideal for this. Here I used oil pastel, watercolour, acrylic and acrylic inks.